Monday, January 10, 2011

Catholicism Begins: The Rosary - Engaging the Mind and Body

Written Sunday, but my computer wasn't cooperating ;-)

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
Francis of Assisi

Saturday night I did my first Rosary. I guess I never knew exactly what a Rosary was, except, in generality, prayer. It is an interesting perspective on prayer, from another Christian group, to see the structure and thoroughness of Rosary. I recall that, as I was taught to pray, you simply start a conversation with God. I started a conversation with God more than 20 years ago, and my "Amen"s are more of a pause than an end. The Rosary is a beautiful celebration of structure, commitment, devotion. I thought Muslims devoted a lot of time to prayer, but I had no idea how long Catholic prayer takes.

In researching Catholicism over the past few weeks, I have learned that, even being sisters with my own Protestant religion, and even having the benefit of tradition and movie spotlight consistently over the years, I have much to learn about Catholicism, and I look forward to this portion of my journey, as I try to find that elusive love and devotion that sainted so many.

These things I know about Catholicism:1. Catholics own a lot of art and keep it at the Vatican. The Pope lives at the Vatican as well, and he's the top guy in the church. Also, the Pope can't be a woman.


2. Unlike Protestants, Catholics give a special reverence and position to the Holy Mother Mary. It's not that Protestants don't respect and cherish the position she had as the mother of Jesus, but its more that they don't believe that position carried on beyond her human life. Her matriarchy is overshadowed by her son's godship. (as a side note, I find this practice of almost ascribing deity to her both fascinating and touching... I wonder how my relationship with the Holy Mother will change as a result of this experiment.)

3. Confession and forgiveness of sins to one another is a central part of redemption in Catholicism. This is so central to the religion itself, and so different from the Protestant way I was brought up. To ascribe the ability of forgiveness to humans, and, further, forgiveness for wrongs that have not even been committed against us, makes the way we relate to each other so much more powerful. To think that going to a priest and asking forgiveness for something, and being absolved from that thing simply by asking, and not by asking God, but by asking a brother in humanity... It is very different from the Protestant approach of "confess your sins to God and God alone, he will forgive you." There is, even through anonymity, a sense of personal responsibility imbued upon the confessor when we speak of those things in the presence of another. At least, I would think there would be.

4. Catholics, though better known perhaps for their bloody past with the crusades, are probably almost entirely responsible for the survival and spread of Christianity and the survival of the written New Testament in history. They have a marked ability to cherish and preserve not only tradition, but the written word.

5. There is a lot of activity in a Catholic church service (based on what I've seen on TV and in movies). A lot of sitting, kneeling, standing, kneeling. I find the activity comforting - much like the ritual of prayer in Islam, it feels like you are engaging your body AND your soul in the quest to reach God.

Finally, I am still trying to get some Catholic women "sponsors" to help me as my Muslim friends did during my Islam period. I have looked online at the Catholic churches nearby and I am fascinated by how much you must do and know to get into the church, to become a member. Unlike the Protestant way that I grew up with, where the only thing required for membership was a trip to the front of the church at the end of a service, the Catholic membership procedure involves learning, speaking, confessing, and confirming. There are prescribed steps to follow and check points along the way. It is not a simple matter, and the challenge of that membership makes it more appealing to me, actually.

I'm looking forward to this portion of my journey!

For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.
St. Therese of Lisieux

No comments:

Post a Comment