Monday, November 19, 2012

names

I have a party gag I like to do. Sometimes when I'm out and about, I play this game with strangers I meet. "Tell me your name and I'll tell you about yourself." People look at me funny, then they laugh and with raised eyebrows they tell me their name. I tell them what I know about that name. Names say a lot about a person - not always the name you were given at birth, but what you go by.

Sometimes I'm wrong. More often, I'm right. About 95% of the time I'm right. Because names are powerful things - they make us who we are.

"But that doesn't seem right, how can something so important, something that makes me who I am, be given to me by someone else? Don't I have control over my own destiny and life? How, then, can a name I had no choice about define me?"

It's a question I get a lot when I'm playing this game... I smile and shrug, usually. I don't know how it works, I just know it works. People don't like not being 100% in charge of who they are.

I believe that everyone we allow into our heart names us - they call us friend, sister, wife, mother, soul-mate, daughter... and with the name, they change us, we evolve toward who we are meant to be.

There are so many people who have named me in this life, and I am thankful for their gift. My daughters and my mothers, my sisters and brothers, my friends and soul-mates, my husband and my tribe-members. Thank you for the gift of my name.

1 comment:

  1. You're right! The point of human relationships is to help move us back to Who We Really Are. You are amazing, great blog, great insights. Thank you for helping others know themselves too. I love you!

    ReplyDelete