Monday, May 23, 2011

what REALLY matters?

Edited to update: I am collecting donations for the folks in Joplin MO, so if you would like to make a donation, I'll make sure it gets in the right hands. You can paypal it to jonikmartin@yahoo.com

*********************************************

End of the world at 6pm (local) Saturday? Epic fail.
The end of the world as they knew it for those in Joplin Missouri yesterday when a tornado tore a path of destruction 4 miles wide through the town? Well, that's closer.

They say you have two families in this life: The one you're born with and the one you choose. The one I chose had a chunk of damage from the storm yesterday that left 79 people dead. My company owns 5 restaurants in Joplin Missouri. Two of my friends live there, a co-worker and his wife, who I have become very close to. They are safe. Our stores are safe and their crews. But things like this make you think about what matters.

I will never forget the pain and disbelief I felt after 9/11. I sat, stunned, unable to cry, unable to take in the information that our country had suffered such a huge loss. I felt the same after Hurrican Katrina, then massive tornados this year across the country that have taken people: mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters. When the tornado hit Joplin yesterday, I looked at the pictures with that now-familiar feeling of pain and disbelief. This didn't even look like my country. It looked like the aftermath of a war zone.

But this is what makes me proud to be a human, and proud to be American. We are resiliant. They will be able to pick up their devastated lives and rebuild. They will be able to unite to work toward a common goal. The things that don't matter are left unsaid, and the things that are important: love, family, commitment and a tie between us all as humans and Americans take the forefront. Groups from the Southern Baptist men will join workers from the American Red Cross and Mormon Missionaries and Muslims and firefighters and police to help these people pick up the pieces.

And I - I held my children a little longer this morning. I kissed them and told them I loved them for the millionth time. I called my mother, I called Mark, I prayed. Because the things that seem so important every day pale in comparison to our hope, our love, our humanity.

Our prayers to God, from languages and positions and perspectives as varied as wildflowers, are for the same thing: healing. And I think he hears them ALL.

The AP posted these photos (Credits here):

the hospital in Joplin





1 comment:

  1. Oh my god! That is terrible. Beautiful piece reminding us to stick together and quit being jerks to each other! Thank you, Joni.

    ReplyDelete