Monday, May 9, 2011

why i [love] organized sports as much as i [hate] organized religion

Politics and religion are among my favorite topics for dinner conversation. I know they are taboo, but I get so energetic and happy hearing other people's views on the topics. Never mind that you're a republican (I just threw up a little in my mouth) or a democrat (ok, this time it made it onto my desk), or that your views on women's rights are woefully 18th century, or that you think we should start handing out hundred dollar bills to homeless people leaving the liquor store...

Never mind that ((your)) God is the one true God and your religion likewise. That you believe [I] am going to hell in a handbasket or that you believe [you] are the only one with a patent on right. You are on a team and your team is exceptional... more, your team is undefeatable and comprised of immortals. Which brings me to my point.

I love organized sports for many of the same reasons people love religion:

1. Being part of something bigger than myself: I love being chunked in with a massive group of people who are probably very unlike me, but are all screaming support for the same team I am. I find cheering with several hundred strangers for one person's success on the mound incredibly invigorating. There is nothing better than starting a wave at a sports bar with a roomful of strangers, all bound together by one passion: SPORTS & OUR TEAM.

2. Teamwork: I like how most sports are about teamwork. [Our] team defeating [their] team. This is somewhat LIKE religion, except for the part where [their] team isn't going to hell... they just aren't going to the Superbowl. Also, even if your buddy is a Lakers fan (ahem... sorry, just threw up a little again) and you are, clearly, a Mavs fan (as any sane person WOULD be!) you can still be friends when the Mavs stomp up on the Lakers.

3. There is a clear winner and a loser in *almost* every game: I love that there is clearly a winner and a loser in every game. And they take turns winning and losing. So when the game is over, you can say "My team won this time" ((but not for all eternity)) and there is no subjective view on this: either they won or they lost. Now, they may have not won fairly, but they still walked away with more points.

4. Sportsmanship: At the end of the day, it's a game. And how you play the game is as important as the winning or losing (mostly). Granted, sometimes elbows are thrown up in people's ribs, fouls are abundant, tripping goes on (ahem, LAKERS), but at the end of the game, both teams shake hands and thank each other for the good game.

I like how the players appreciate players from other teams who make them play harder, have a better game. I like how they enjoy the challenge of coming up against opponents and learn from what the other coaches and teams are doing. I like how they are wildly loyal to their team, but admit the strengths of other teams and team members. I really like the fact that one guy couldn't win the Superbowl by himself and if there wasn't an opposing team, there would BE NO SUPERBOWL. Clearly, in sports, they've gotten it. They know that they are as dependent upon the opposition as they are on each other. They might be rockstars on the court, but they know there would be no game to play without their fans and supporters. You can sit on your couch and watch it on TV, or you can go to a live game, or watch it on the bigscreen at a restaurant and, while the experience might be different in each place, you still get to be part of the action and, for the most part, people don't look down on you. When elbows are thrown in people's ribs ((LAKERS!)), fans from both sides realize the foul and frown on their lack of sportsmanship. Honor and integrity are valued on the court and I love how there's a referee (or variation thereof) there to call it when he sees something below the belt, and then the team member gets punished!

You get to high-five people and slap their butt, even if you don't know them that well. Unabashed exuberation abounds, and emotion is unleashed. People share how they feel without shame filters. Hugging perfect strangers is perfectly acceptable. Screaming, dancing, painting your body and dancing around, clapping, jumping, cheering, jeering, even weeping publically - ALL ACCEPTABLE!! Wouldn't it be great if organized religion was this fun and accepted others with a little grace and thankfulness for all they have to teach? I think so.

Oh, and one last thing... GO MAVS!!!





1 comment:

  1. hahahah I love this blog! You made me laugh more than once. (A new record?) And I totally agree with you! I used to dislike organized sports but I've grown to love them too. :)
    GO MAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete